Monday, February 24, 2014

Why I Changed My Twitter Name

I have 13.5k followers on Twitter, so isn't changing my name completely insane? 
Not to me. 
Many moons ago I first decided to venture into the untested waters of Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing + sought guidance on how to be successful. One of the 1st things people told me was to go on Twitter and build the largest following I could. 
Through a lot of hard work and the magic of TweetAdder, I did exactly that. I have thousands upon thousands of followers who I don't know, don't pay attention to, and don't interact with. And they feel the same way.
The 1st mistake I made with Twitter was setting up my account. At the time, i'd spent 2 years writing Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes and I assumed it would be the only thing I created that I'd ever be known for. I never dreamed how much opportunity existed and how much I would apply myself.
It's safe to say that Whitechapel is one of the books I'm less well known for (aside from all the irate Holmes fans I traumatized) and many readers might be confused what the hell an Apiary Society is in the first place.
To be completely honest, I never considered changing my name before because I was afraid. I was afraid that after all this time building up such a large following on Twitter, by changing my name, people would lose track of me.
But then I realized that was just a residual feeling left over from all that bad information I acquired early on.
You see, it used to be (and probably still is) the common consensus that success in independent publishing was found by having all sorts of blogs and social media sites with exhaustive updates. I wasted large amounts of time writing those blogs, making videos, copying blogs from Goodreads to Linkedin to Facebook and everywhere else. It was time I could have spent writing.
Take it from me, folks. The only way to be successful in this game is to both write well and often. That's it. Of course there are all sorts of things that go along with that, but as sure as I'm standing here, blogging and updating Linkedin are not one of them.
So now, I'm officially putting the stake in the heart of that vampire.
If people can't find me on Twitter to add me to their Follow Friday lists or whatever, so be it. If they are people I wanted to interact with, they'll see this and know.
From here on out and forevermore I will be on Twitter as myself. Regular old @BernardSchaffer. Maybe someday there will be a verified checkmark next to that, but either way, I'll probably be too busy writing to immediately notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment