Monday, December 17, 2012

What You Can Do to Help

After almost a week of candle flame photographs, twenty-one stars listed as people's statuses, and a bunch of lame posturing on every social media network known to man, I snapped.  I started calling people out.  It's all well and good to "like" warmed-over sentiments that have been re-posted a thousand times, but if you think you're actually doing something, you aren't.
So in the midst of all my snarky ranting, my Aunt called me out and said, "What are YOU doing, big shot?  What are you expecting everyone else to do, too?"
Yeah, she's a cool lady like that.
So I put together a list.  Here's a few things that I felt were worth doing and hope you'll consider too.

Whitehouse Petitions
Petitions Specifically Aimed at the Westboro Baptist Church
In case you've been living under a rock, the Phelps family, of God Hates Fags fame, have injected themselves into this situation.  They deserve everything that happens to them.
This Tweet from Shirley Phelps-Roper pretty much sums it up:
By the way, if you're wondering why Shirley's name now appears to be "Cosmo" it's because a teenage hacker called CosmoTheGod took her account over.
So let's have a little more fun at the WBC's expense:
I've taken a pretty strong position on gun control.  As a fifteen year veteran of law enforcement I'm familiar with firearms and the people who use them.  I grew up around guns, cops, hunters, guns shops, and have been an avid outdoorsman since I was old enough to walk.  That being said, I do not believe a citizen's right to bear arms supersedes the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Simple things like going to a movie without getting shot, going to the mall without getting shot, going to Kindergarten without getting shot.
And for all you people who think arming everyone will somehow solve the problems, I want you to watch a video from a study conducted by the Bethlehem Police Department.  
  

I hope that gives you a little direction as to how you can participate and join in.
Feel free to post any other suggestions you might have below.

No comments:

Post a Comment